May 2, 2008

Learning, and nerdiness

I'm gearing up to co-facilitate the Strategic Connector Nonprofit Leadership Institute at the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits (where I work as a program coordinator). Although I try to resist thinking about leadership (or anything, really) in terms of quotes, there are just some that ring true at various times.

Tonight, it's Confucius, although I don't account for the translation: 

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." 

Although it sounds ominous, I think it reflects the ease/difficulty by which we all learn. It's easier to reflect than to act, and it is easier to act than to evaluate, through experience, one's previous actions. 

And easiest still to refer to the best.comic.ever:

















No comments: